Converting an ISV solution to an extension: Update 1

Well, what can I say……….this is going to take a while. 🙂

If you have no idea what I am talking about, start here.

After getting the objects converted to AL (using the standard process documented here), I was immediately greeted in VS Code by just over 8000 errors/warnings. Great start.

Luckily half of those were generated by the code analyzers. If you don’t know what they are, see here. Yes, at this point in the project I am considering that half of my issues are “only non-standard and poorly formatted code”. Gotta try and stay positive!

This brings me to my first “recommendation” in this process:

Turn off ALL the code analyzers.

The code analyzers are enabled by default, but can be turned off in your VS Code settings (see here). Once I get to a point where the “non-syntax” errors have been addressed, I will re-enable the analyzers and then deal with that barrel of fun. I’ve done this before in much smaller apps and very quickly got tired of typing ‘()’ 🙂

After disabling the analyzers my list of errors/warnings was brought “all the way down to” just over 4000. Oh wow I’m halfway done!! Ha ha.

The next thing I decided to tackle was another fairly easy one. Dealing with Product Group Code. If you’re not already aware, the Product Group Code feature was deprecated in favour of an improved parent/child Item Category structure. The Product Group Code fields however, were left in the product (not sure I like that, but we can deal with it) and marked for removal (see ObsoleteState property here). This causes any references to those fields to be flagged as warnings. Your code will still build, but this is a heads up that at some point in the future the fields will (probably!?) be removed. As I’m already head deep in things to fix and rework, I decided I’d rather not wait and I will remove references to those fields now.

For me, removing the references to the Product Group Code was pretty easy. We didn’t have major functionality tied to that field, but other ISV solutions may require more effort to remove those references, or, you may just choose to not deal with that now. Up to you.

That’s my update for now, back to fixing more issues. More updates to come!

Happy coding!

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Converting an ISV solution to an extension: Update 1

  1. Pingback: Converting an ISV solution to an extension: Update 1 - Mark Brummel - Dynamics 365 Business Central/NAV User Group - Dynamics User Group

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s